A patient’s choice of surgeon is their most important decision. And my patients are the total focus of my plastic surgery practice.
Benefits of specialisation
As a plastic surgeon, I believe it is essential I perform only a limited number of procedure types in my practice. Plastic surgery is a diverse field. To develop true expertise in a procedure, it must be performed over and over again. There are many medical studies demonstrating that in surgery, those surgeons who focus on a small number of procedures and “subspecialise” in them get better results than the “occasional” surgeon. This is the value of focus and experience.
Dr. Howard Webster
MBBS (Hons) FRACS MBA.
Dr Howard Webster is one of Australia’s most experienced plastic surgeons. To achieve the best possible results for patients, he limits his practice to a number of specific procedures where his expertise and interest is focused. This ensures he is fully up to date with the latest techniques and very experienced in each procedure.
Over more than 25 years as a specialist plastic surgeon, Dr Webster has personally cared for many thousands of patients through their plastic surgery journey. Howard regards his job as a privilege, enjoying meeting and welcoming people from all walks of life and geographic locations who seek his advice, care and surgical skills. His practice feels comfortable, approachable and friendly. Every patient is equally important to the practice.
Howard has performed well over 8000 operative procedures in his clinical private practice, and will have performed a minimum of hundreds and a maximum of thousands of the procedure you are personally interested in – depending upon the procedure – over the past 25 years.
Passionate about the quality of patient care, he has spent his career actively seeking and advocating for improvements in patient safety standards. He fosters ongoing improvement, communication and excellence in his surgical team.
He allocates adequate, reasoned time with new patients to fully discuss, examine and assess their needs, and encourages a second consultation prior to surgery. He insists that every patient must feel fully prepared, informed and certain of their choices before undergoing surgery. For this reason, waiting times to see him can be long, but he believes patients understand that considered, comprehensive advice and uncompromising care take time to deliver and are worth the wait.
Howard trained in general and specialist plastic surgery for eight years after graduating from medical school in 1983. After becoming a specialist plastic surgeon, he trained and studied as a postgraduate in Plastic Surgery for a further three years in the UK and USA before returning to Melbourne to commence practice.
Howard has been the Head of Plastic and Maxillofacial Surgery at one of Melbourne’s largest public hospitals, and is a past president of the Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) – the peak Australian professional body for plastic surgery.
- He was the founding Chairman of the Australasian Foundation for Plastic Surgery, which was conceived and implemented during his term as ASPS President. The Foundation provides education, support, research and outreach in Australasian plastic surgery.
- He served on the Avant (Insurance) Medical Advisory Council, which works to continually develop standards, reduce surgical risks and improve safety of practice.
- He was invited by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons to serve on their International Advisory Committee in 2009, and is the first Australian surgeon to have done so.
- He has co-authored five chapters in plastic surgery texts and has presented at many national and international plastic surgery meetings.
- In 2011 he was invited to be on the teaching faculty for the IPRAS World Congress in Plastic Surgery in Vancouver, 2011.
- In 2013 he was the Scientific Convener for the 2013 Australasian National Plastic Surgery Congress.
- In 2015 he joined Dr Bryan Mendelson’s MAFAC faculty, and regularly assists in teaching facial anatomy educational courses as a faculty member of Dr Mendelson’s course, both in Australia and overseas.
- He is in full time private practice in Melbourne and North East Victoria / Southern NSW.
Choosing your surgeon
Choosing your plastic surgeon is the most important decision you will make when planning to have a procedure.
Howard is a private person, and can’t imagine that anyone would care to know anything about his personal life, which is not very interesting in any event. He grew up on a farm in the NE of Victoria, lives in Melbourne which as we all know is pretty much the best city in the world, and has planted over 40,000 trees so far in a vain attempt to eradicate his carbon debt to the planet.